Saturday, June 18, 2016

The Final Countdown

Hi everyone! It's the FINAL COUNTDOWN!

Today is our second to last day in Rome! In about an hour we will be leaving on a bus to travel 45 minutes to Tivoli, where we will have our farewell dinner. It's supposed to be a beautiful place and we will walk through the gardens there and be entertained by some musicians. And I just realized I don't have any coins left over to tip them with besides 5 cent coins. Uh oh.

Yesterday I had a very boring day, but it was much deserved. We hadn't had a day to just chill in about a week, and I need that. After we got back from our walking tour of the Santa Maria Sopra Minerva church and some surrounding monuments, I fell right back asleep. My sleeping habits have been messed up, and all of the walking and the rising temperatures and the people and the bus/metro system wears you out, believe me. When I get home I won't have to deal with that, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. After I woke up, I ventured out of the dorm to find some food, scavenging my options that took credit cards because I strategically used up all my Euros so I wouldn't have to transfer them when I got back home. I settled on the grocery store, where I decided to consume something that wasn't straight carbs and bought a salad and some fruit. WHOA. Those things are hard to come by in Italy. So I ate them back at the dorm and proceeded to be a total hermit for the rest of the day. There was free food in the lobby left over from a meeting so we all swarmed that, but then it was back to being a hermit. I watched so many YouTube videos. So many.

This morning I started packing up my stuff. At first I was worried about everything not fitting, but it looks like everything will fit. I don't even think my suitcase will be overweight... maybe only by a pound or two. It was 47 pounds on the way over. For every souvenir I've bought, I've thrown away something that is probably of equal weight. My carry-on, however, is going to be pretty heavy because of my laptop. But that was the case on the way over too. As long as I can get through the Atlanta airport without cutting off the blood flow to my arm from carrying the bag, I'll be good. :)

I can't believe these 6 weeks are basically over! It's scary how fast time is going. Before I know it, I'll turn 21 and my senior year of college will begin. Make it stop, I want to stay in college Anyway, here's a picture to make the thumbnail more interesting. You may recognize it from my Facebook. But it's artsy and stuff and works for every aspect of my trip. It was taken in Massa Marittima from the edge of the hill that our hotel was on, where the view was incredible. Looking back, I think Massa was my favorite city we visited!


As much as I'm going to miss Italy, I think I'm missing America more. Here's my tentative itinerary of what I'll do when I get home. At least food-wise.

Monday, June 20th
5:30 pm - Land in Atlanta (hopefully, if everything goes to plan). Go through customs, do all that nonsense, and then RUN to Starbucks. Purchase an iced coffee with cream, 3 pumps of classic and 3 pumps of white mocha. Savor and cry tears of happiness.
10:15 pm - Land in Jax (hopefully). Exhaustedly reunite with my family and then probably pass out on the drive home.
Tuesday, June 21st
Whenever I wake up - Get in my own car and drive to Firehouse Subs and get an Engineer with extra pickles.
For dinner - Go to Moe's and get a stack. Eat it messily.
After dinner - Andi promised me she'd take me to Yobe. So, go to Yobe and eat frozen yogurt :)
Wednesday, June 22nd
Daytime meal - PANERA. Oh Lordy, Panera.
Nighttime meal - Something with steak. I miss steak so much.
Thursday, June 23rd
Daytime meal - PDQ CHICKEN TENDERS AHHHH
Nighttime meal - Something healthy. Not pizza or pasta. Maybe my mom's meatloaf... hint hint.
Friday, June 24th
Daytime meal - A PUB SUB OMG
Nighttime meal -  I don't know. That's all I've got planned so far. Maybe I should have just organized this as foods I must eat when I get home.

I've clearly thought about this too much. But anyway, it's close to time to go. So CIAO! I'll be home really soon!!
~Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment