Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Last Day in Florence

Ciao! Hello!

Today is our last day in Firenze! We spent our morning at the Museo di San Marco (which reminded me of Jacksonville's San Marco :c) where we saw a bunch of paintings and frescoes, and then we toured the monastery where the monks stayed at the church. Then we went to the Florence Cathedral (the giant building we've been admiring the whole time we've been here) and saw the interior of the Duomo. After a break that was too short, we went to the Bargello museum and we saw some more of Michelangelo's sculptures. This has been the majority of our days here in Florence, museum after museum, church after church, fresco after fresco. Hours of standing and taking pictures and writing notes. But it has been fantastic.

After the Bargello, we were free to roam and do whatever for the rest of the day because the majority of our days here have been pretty full. Another girl and I were going to go to the Museo Galileo (the science museum), but Tuesdays are the only days that the museum closed at 1. So, deciding we were exhausted, we schlepped back to the hotel and I immediately fell asleep. I feel a little bit like I'm not taking advantage of the city around me, but honestly, we have seen so much over the past five days that just chilling and sleeping seemed like a great option. Right now I'm lying in my bed eating Pringles like they're going out of style, but maybe I'll get up and do some shopping in a bit.

I didn't post yesterday, but after a full day of museums I went to go see a chamber orchestra concert at the Orsanmichele last night! It was awesome. The concert featured two oboists that sounded great, and the acoustics were amazing. Check out my Facebook for pictures, because once again the pictures won't load. It was awesome hearing the small orchestra play, and I didn't even need to understand any Italian to appreciate the music. Because, you know, music does that. :)

Tomorrow at 9:30 am we will depart for Massa Marittima, and I am excited to finally be in a small hill town without all these tourists and annoying street vendors. We will take a bus there and it is about a two-and-a-half hour trip. You know what that means? SLEEP.

So far this trip has been amazing, and I still have 5 more weeks to go. (And 5 more weeks before I can get iced coffee again.) And I think I'm getting a single room when we get to Rome next week, so that's like a dream come true for me! I'll let you know how Massa is when we get there.

Adios! (Ha.)
Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment