Wednesday, May 18, 2016

We're in Massa Marittima!

Salve!

We made it to Massa Marittima this afternoon! We had possibly the most terrifying bus ride ever getting here from Florence, between the traffic, our savage bus driver passing every vehicle on the highway, and the skinny winding uphill roads getting up to Massa. The ride was beautiful though once we got into the more remote areas, and we were able to see the sea from the highway.

The view of the sea from the bus window!

We're staying in a restored monastery called the Domus Bernardiniana, and it is so quiet and beautiful! We're on the side of a hill, and the view is incredible. It's definitely a stark contrast from the hustle and bustle of Florence and the constant noise, and that was the point of coming here. I actually like it a lot better. I find that I am more aware of sounds and our presence in the city, and I am trying hard to hide my American-ness. It's a quaint little town, almost like a village, and we get to stay here for five nights. The only issue is I hardly get any wifi or even cell signal in my room, so I either have to stand at the open window holding my phone up like Simba, or come down to the small lobby where there are a few couches, which is what I'm doing now along with about seven other people.

We arrived around 2:00, and we walked around a bit and got ourselves oriented, and now we are waiting until dinner at 8:00. Two important couples will be joining us for dinner at the hotel, I forget who they are... haha. Massa is so different from Florence, but both are fantastic in their own way. Tomorrow we are going to meet a contemporary artist for a workshop, and I am super excited. I'll take plenty of pictures, and I am excited to be in a new place. I'll probably feel the same way by the time it's time to travel to Rome.

Massa is still important enough to have its own cathedral...
However, none of this changes the fact that I really miss iced coffee, Firehouse subs, and driving my car. #fiveweeks #icedcoffeecountdown (I'm making that a thing.)

Ciao!
Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment